25 years already?! The time has passed so quickly. And I have aged a lot.
I remember the events of 9-11 so clearly. I was there, in New York City just one week before. I had just finished a five week trip across the US & changed my ticket. I was scheduled to return to Japan but decided to return to the UK instead. I departed, September 3rd. It was a return ticket to London & back to New York on September 10th which thankfully, I never used.
It had been the longest time I had spent away from the UK, (just 1 year & 1 month!!) at that time. So I was happy to be back visiting my family & friends. I stayed about three weeks before returning to Japan, as a tourist!
And on September 11th, I was relaxing at my parents' home. It was early afternoon when my mother told me to come & watch the television. The news of the 'accident' in New York was just breaking. We then spent the rest of the day, watching in shock as it soon became obvious that the accident was in fact, a major terrorist attack. Watching the second plane strike the World Trade Centre was awful enough but then, watching each tower collapse was horrific. I had been walking there, just over a week before & could never have imagined such a catastrophe. Nor could anyone else, I'm sure.
So we are all still here today, yet 25 years have passed since so many innocent people lost their lives, many never knowing the reason. And many more have suffered their loss ever since. A whole new generation have emerged to learn about this event in their school history lessons. And what have we all learned? Is the world a better place, today?
Thanks Ian! Everyone has a saved remembrance on that day. I used to watch News23 every night, but Tetsuya Tikushi was on the summer holiday, but he was an anchorman💦 An anchorman should be there on that kind of day🤔
At the beginning of collapse I could access the mechanical room on the basement floor which was in operation, I still remember the image. 25 years has passed since then.
25 years already?!
ReplyDeleteThe time has passed so quickly.
And I have aged a lot.
I remember the events of 9-11 so clearly.
I was there, in New York City just one week before.
I had just finished a five week trip across the US &
changed my ticket. I was scheduled to return to Japan
but decided to return to the UK instead. I departed, September 3rd.
It was a return ticket to London & back to New York on September 10th
which thankfully, I never used.
It had been the longest time I had spent away from the UK, (just 1 year & 1 month!!) at that time. So I was happy to be back visiting my family & friends. I stayed about three weeks before returning to Japan, as a tourist!
And on September 11th, I was relaxing at my parents' home. It was early afternoon when my
mother told me to come & watch the television. The news of the 'accident' in New York was just breaking. We then spent the rest of the day, watching in shock as it soon became obvious that the accident was in fact, a major terrorist attack. Watching the second plane strike the World Trade Centre was awful enough but then, watching each tower collapse was horrific.
I had been walking there, just over a week before & could never have imagined such a catastrophe. Nor could anyone else, I'm sure.
So we are all still here today, yet 25 years have passed since so many innocent people lost their lives, many never knowing the reason. And many more have suffered their loss ever since.
A whole new generation have emerged to learn about this event in their school history lessons.
And what have we all learned?
Is the world a better place, today?
Peace
Thanks Ian!
ReplyDeleteEveryone has a saved remembrance on that day.
I used to watch News23 every night, but Tetsuya Tikushi was on the summer holiday, but he was an anchorman💦
An anchorman should be there on that kind of day🤔
At the beginning of collapse I could access the mechanical room on the basement floor which was in operation, I still remember the image.
25 years has passed since then.